Monday, September 29, 2014

Dementia v's the world

I wish for a world when a person trying to sit up is not viewed as crazy, where a person with dementia is not viewed as worthless and miserable. Until we live in that world I am going to use some of the energy I've been putting towards caring for my Dad and do what I can to contribute to bettering the treatment of people living with dementia. It is a cruel disease and at the moment we are so far from treating sufferers reasonably let alone with dignity. For instance, in Sunshine Coast hospitals at least, they still treat dementia patients with both risperidol and haloperidol - both of which carry FDA warnings in America as their use has been found to cause higher incidence of death for people with dementia. And here we are, my Dad and I, in a position to be adding to that statistic :(

No comments:

Post a Comment