Friday, March 6, 2015

A thank you for Jake Clemons

As I lie beside my restless little person, listening to the storm outside thinking about bringing us some rain I'm reminded of an August night last year, driving into Brisbane to the Old Museum Building in gentle misty rain to discover a little about Jake  Clemons' music.

That day I remember being pleasantly surprised by not only the mastery he has with voice and instruments alike, but how much the lyrics resonated with me, as did Jake's anecdotes about his journey to particular songs.

I've been excited about revisiting Jake's music since the Solbar wS announced as his tour start venue, so close to home for me!!  So much has passed since last August and I badly needed the time out that music brings.

The set did not disappoint - all my favourites and some new favourites now too!

We had a blast trying to make saxophone music as requested and I surprised myself at keeping a beat for at least half of one song!!!

 I was in awe of how a song about saying goodbye as a musician on the road can also hold true for the fraction of time and light that dementia allows you into someone's life - so often I was saying goodbye to Dad minutes after arriving to see him :(

I love Song for Hope, "a little hope will go a long way" such a simple concept but woven so cleverly into the complexity of human emotion and striking to the centre of human experience - I've spent the last few years living in that space, making the little hope stretch. Thank you for writing this song Jake!!!!

By the time Jake had finished introducing "bittersweet" I was already emotional at the parallels between his stories and my own. I think I spent a great deal of that particular song feeling all the feelings!

This was a particularly poignant set for me, a cleansing of the emotions and spirit, thank you Jake, you were such a gentleman tonight and I'm sure we all appreciated what a special night we were treated to!!!

Have a wonderful not at all bittersweet tour!

No comments:

Post a Comment