Saturday, February 8, 2014

Life Changing Music

I don’t know how others experience Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, but for me it is like the biggest party possible, strangely combined with freakishly transcendental moments that spring from unlikely corners and alter the course of my life.

Thus far I've been to 5 concerts and experienced 3 instances of having a ‘moment’ of sudden life-changing realisation mid-song.  Not to mention the energised motivation to exercise!

The first time was my first concert, during We Are Alive.  I’ve already blogged about the incredible removal of terror of mortality from my life, thanks to Bruce’s stark lyrics.
In Melbourne 2013 night 2, something else shifted for me, when I realised I could let go of sadness from my past and live wholly in the now. I didn't even realise I was holding on to past hurts!

Last night was another moment. During Shackled and Drawn I finally realised that the place I want to work is in aged care. I have a passion not just for the dignity and care of my own father, but for the dignity of all older people, especially those who cannot advocate for themselves.  I have a whole field to go explore when I get home.  The perfect starting point as the service I found to look after Dad while I am away. 


The music and the performance by Bruce and the band go beyond what I can describe. It just is.  And I get to do it all again tonight, although sadly from the distance of a seat.  Still count myself extremely fortunate.


No comments:

Post a Comment