Friday, May 31, 2013

Regaining Happiness - Exercise

Earlier this week I blogged about needing to regain that happiness from last month. As it turns out exercise is a big deal when it comes  to being happy. And, I discovered last night, so is Tai Chi specifically, so I'll talk a little about both here today.

Exercise
It is amazing how I can be a cursing ranting mess, leave the house for a half hour walk, and return with an incredible sense of calm and peace.  I came to the conclusion that my family vastly prefer the version of me with that sense of peace and calm exuding from within to the alternative grouchy snappy duck!  So the self-fulfilling nature of getting enough exercise means that not only will I feel good, but so will those around me, so then I'll be less irritated by the universe and everyone in the family will be basking in the rays of happiness as they were post-Springsteen. Thats the theory :)

Apparently the practice is much like the theory.  This article says that on any given day, happiness is increased as long as exercise has taken place. Thats the gist of what it says, I'm sure! Quite remarkable. So simple its stupifying.

I have incorporated taking my boy for a walk a few times a week as well. I don't get the distances on those days but he keeps up a sharp pace and the conversation and time talking with him are an incredible payoff.  Plus it gives him the idea that walking with family is a fantastic way to exercise!!!!

This isn't really about the weight loss, but overall my exercise does have that primary purpose, so its worth mentioning that I've reached my target weight of 90kgs and now its time to maintain it at the very least, although I do want to get down another 5kg goal at a time as soon as sickness stops lurking with my husband who can't do without me for a 45 minute walk when he has man-flu!

Tai Chi
I began Tai Chi classes in early 2012, with the Taoist Tai Chi Society.  My Tai Chi lesson of this week is that Tai Chi singlehandedly contributes to my lower blood pressure, my sense of calm, my posture (I literally leave classes taller!) and my attitude.   

I'm not alone.  Tai Chi has been shown to improve circulation, lower high blood pressure, improve balance and posture, and reduce stress.  It also reduces joint pain, increases flexibility and lowers Cholesterol! 



I'm now re-committed to going to Tai Chi at least twice a week to continue to maintain that sense of calm and relaxation, as well as the terrific physical benefits.


No comments:

Post a Comment