Sunday, May 19, 2013

Time with each child

Two weeks ago:
I don't know what other people's experience has been once having a third child, but in our family it has thrown the dynamic into what can be kindly described as total chaos.  Noise levels are higher, random crazy stuff that children do is much higher and focus on any activity is much lower.

Partially to counter this, and partially because I know that our boy misses out on time with me all the time (middle child issue!), this weekend we did one day with him and Mummy and then today I spent time with our eldest.

I enjoyed myself so much, that I can see this being a regular thing, and a way to reconnect one on one with the children who are swamped when we are all together in chaos.  I'm thinking that next week, we will swop, and hubby can have one on one with the older children one at a time while I have our baby and whoever isn't having Daddy time.

As weekends go overall there was still chaos, but it was countered by the lovely time I had just hanging out low-key with my little bloke; and then today having a couple of hours in the surf with my big girl, without having to restrict our swimming due to a small toddler!  And the weather was ideal for it, water temperature was 22 degrees and just refreshing rather than chilling!  I hope this beautiful autumn weather holds out a bit longer so that we can have a few more beach adventures.

UPDATE: on reflection I realise that my eldest frequently manages to get time alone with both myself and hubby, so the 'alone time' project is going to continue mostly as a way to keep a good connection with our boy. Strategising to separate children for different things on the weekend is a great way for us to keep sanity for all concerned, as this weekend on Saturday we kept our youngest at home with me because she is getting tired of being in the car constantly. This gave hubby and son some alone time out at gymnastics.

We've also built a little fireplace, which everyone is loving in the cold weather, to cook potatoes in jackets, warm garlic bread, toast, fire-roasted chicken breasts and toasted marshmallows for dessert.  This has been a terrific weekend activity, re-engaging our fussiest eater with a range of yummy food. Tonight's plan includes cooking corn in the coals as well.

Winter has certainly arrived, so I don't think we'll be getting any more glorious beach days until spring arrives. Until then, this make-do fireplace is going to see some adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment