Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year

The past weeks have been a time of celebration, but also for me, a time of great changes. Adjusting to life without my adult-life-long companion has been emotional. We've also had 2 groups of helpx backpackers now, both absolutely wonderful experiences.  And then there is a Christmas with Dad that we never expected to get, twice over during the past 12 months. And he's seen in another year, 2014 is here, and so is my Dad, against all the odds. Bless him for hanging in there for me and the children.

Today was an excellent opportunity to reflect on the changes I've made in 2013.  They are not noteworthy perhaps, to anyone but myself, and my noting them here, I may not convey the importance or relevance that I feel these changes have, but I'll give it a shot.

Today started off on the wrong foot. My husband and I were not seeing eye to eye and together were on a collision course to ruin each other's New Years Day.  So instead, as soon as we both realised the futility of trying to stay in the same place and be civilised, hubby went off to check on Dad and look after him this morning.  We've done this before, it is the perfect solution in our household to those moments of stupid bickering that lead nowhere pleasant, and fast.  Rather than  bicker, we separate and go in different directions, each doing valid constructive work, so that when we are reunited, we are both grateful to the other for their contribution and any bickering is forgotten. It works a charm.

So while hubby was gone, without interference from a second opinion I launched into a quick cleanup, with a timer from UFYH giving me some structure - cleaning each room for approximately 1/2 hour, allowing me a little time to manage children around that. In two hours I had swept downstairs, finished the Christmas present devastation cleanup and made a tiny dent in the laundry.  The important thing was that it felt good, the house felt cleaner, more loved and I felt calmer than I had in days. 

I feel we have also perfected the 'visit to Grandad' with all children now responsibly behaved in a very boring nursing home, and a habit of watching kids TV with Dad in his room. 

Beneath these changes runs the vein of having first changed my whole attitude to a single-task focus, doing one thing at a time, enjoying and living in the moment. I'm still working on it, but it does make a more hassle-free existence.

In 30 days I will mark 12 months of blogging, something I never thought would happen, I am grateful for all I have learnt from the blog this past year.

What will 2014 bring? Firstly I'd like a magical ability to make a budget from my very unrealistic finances! 

No comments:

Post a Comment