Sunday, April 14, 2013

Keeping up the positive Energy - Day 2

Today was again very taxing in terms of assisting and advocating for Dad in hospital.  It was also the last day of the school holidays, and neither of my schoolchildren are fans of school. So an important day to get right for the family.

And fortunately it turned out well. A good night's sleep went a long way to keep me functioning today, as did the excellent meals my hubby provided.  After that it was all about emotional energy, knowing when to push myself and knowing when I needed to just stop.

In terms of overall inspiration / working out a strategy to use in the future, I haven't had much time or opportunity to contemplate how to improve my emotional resilience, but today I did get it mostly right. I also found this extremely apt link in my facebook feed tonight, about how to assist someone through illness or crisis. The premise of which is to send only comfort in the direction of the people in the midst of the problem.  I'm close to the middle of my Dad's health concerns, so its a warning message to me to avoid people who can't help  but throw their issues in my face when it isn't an appropriate time.  I think that concept goes into the 'think about it later' basket as its a very important concern and relevant to how I cope emotionally when under pressure.

If there was a big lesson I feel I learnt today, it would be to let the emotions out, the raw emotions, the tears. I was only able to do that with the help of some incredibly enthusiastic people on Facebook. I asked the Bruce Springsteen fans group page this question:

so I need some info.. whats your favourite uplifting Springsteensong for ultra stressed days?




The replies are still coming in, but the very first, lightning fast response was "Trapped" I'm sure Trapped is about a relationship, but the concept of being utterly trapped is relevant here. There is no way I'd leave Dad to face the haphazard care of random doctors without a voice  to explain to them all the things that need explaining in ways that he can no longer articulate.  Trapped brought tears to my eyes, and a melancholy relief that it was a temporary situation.

And then there were more replies, and I felt surrounded by the helpfulness and friendliness as well as some terrific music.  Soon my hubby was playing the Jethro Tull song, "loccomotive breath" that he felt suited his mood.  And my family were ready and out the door to visit the beach, with all of us feeling happy and light, despite the circumstances.  Sometimes its about letting the feelings feel.

Hubby has really done his bit with juggling the caring for children, also advocating for Dad, and thinking ahead (normally not his strong suit!). He'd picked a beachside waterpark for our afternoon adventure and soon everyone was having a great time! 

I had three walks along the beach and foreshore with family in tow. One evening walk where the big children had fun being 'ghosts' and saying "boo" from behind trees.   We all relaxed and enjoyed our last day of holidays, even though the outing started late, it was thoroughly enjoyed and we did not miss out entirely on the beautiful sunshine today.


Sunset listening to the ocean was a welcome relaxation and we arrived home with sleeping children to find that Dad's condition has improved marginally.  Which leaves us at least relaxed and ready to organise ourselves for the big school adventure to start again tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment