Tuesday, February 26, 2013

When all else fails, fake it, cut corners & take a shortcut!

Today is a day of cutting corners. In the end, that is what has made it a successful day.  All the corner cutting has paid off with a hefty dose of "hey I did it". Sometimes faking it till you make it really is the magic formula!  I've heard people say that before - its certainly written in the book I'm reading "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin. After my experience today, I would agree that there is a lot to be gained in terms of getting things done and positive energy in having a go at this strategy!

There are a never-ending number of ways you can 'fake it', some of my favourite cheats and shortcuts include:
- putting on music for little ones to dance to to buy a few minutes of instant fun
- making 'fake' dips, like 'corn relish' dip - blend some cream cheese and a jar of corn relish - voila, tasty dip, looks homemade! A similar dip can be made with a packet of french onion soup, as shown here, or you can also make up about 1/4 of a cup of soup first, it make the blending easier!
- applying a thin layer of wax to a clean stovetop to make spills easy to wipe off - I'm yet to do this one, it is pinned to my new "Organising Energy" pinterest page, here.
- pouring some vinegar into the bottom of the dishwasher to kill germs
- adding vinegar to washing up for an extra sparkly finish
- deliberately hugging for at least 30 seconds or more even when I don't feel like cuddling, because thats how long it takes endorphins and other good hug-hormones to work. This one really works a treat!
- I've already mentioned my inability to do birthdays weekly here. So I make do with my post office issues, and send them quarterly. Everyone still gets a card, and while I've had a few comments on the earliness / lateness of the cards, what I haven't felt is guilty for not sending one at all. It really bugs me. I think birthday cards are important, no matter your age. So when I don't send them (like I haven't sent any this year!) I feel quite bad for the lack of respect and love I've shown my family and friends.

The special fake-it day I had today involved quite a few moments of making do, and getting on with it. This is the story of my fake-it day.

Today I attended a local birthing and mother's community group. It is a bring-a-plate thing. So I took these rather ordinary jam rolls bought from the supermarket, and dressed them up a little!

I simply cut each roll into thirds, tured them onto their sides and suddenly I had little mini rolls. Sure, everyone probably knows they're store bought, but they're now snazzier! For a children's function you could add some icing writing on the plate to make little snails!
 

Going with the theme of shortcuts - I always wash out stains that needs a bit of a handwash while I'm in the shower. It is strangely soothing using your feet to clean while relaxing. One of the advantages of the shiny new shower, inspirational place to do the handwashing!

We even 'cheated' at taking my son to school today. I dropped him and his Dad off, reassuring him that Daddy couldn't leave as I had the car! Separation anxiety eased. A great schoolday was had and the school library got a parent helper for an entire day!

I'll leave you with a cool idea for some down-time play, especially on these crazy, rainy days.  I had some flour that had for some reason been left with its lid off, so we made playdough! The no-stove recipe I use is:
2 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 tablespoon Cream of Tartare
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup of hot / boiling water
stir, knead and add food colouring.



And when you are all done playing, store the homemade playdough in the fridge for next time in a ziplock sandwich sized bag!

Thats it from my day of short cuts and 'faking it"




No comments:

Post a Comment